Ph.D., State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo, Earthquake and Structural Engineering, 2007.
M.S., State University of New York at Buffalo, Structural and Computational Mechanics, 2003.
Degree in Civil Engineering, Universidad de Medellin, Colombia, 1993
Seismic isolation and energy dissipation systems, computational mechanics, behavior of structural systems, performance-based design, large-scale testing, simplified structural procedures for engineering practice, seismic evaluation and retrofit of bridges and buildings, structural systems for electrical infrastructure.
My research efforts include: 1) experimental and theoretical simulations, 2) modeling of dynamic response of structures, nonstructural components and systems, and protective measures to predict the responses by using analytical and computational mechanics tools, 3) validating through experimentation mathematical models that predict behavior of mechanical systems under extreme loading condition, and 4) finding simple procedures and methodologies to support design procedures and verification processes in engineering practice.
For more information on the recent research projects please visit: http://www.howard.edu/seismicpps/., http://neesrcr.gatech.edu/, http://bncs.ucsd.edu/
Reinforced Concrete, Structures I, Structures II, Steel Design, Introduction to Structural Protection Systems, Structural Engineering Research Project, Undergraduate Research.
My research focuses on advancing knowledge about protective systems to secure critical infrastructure such as buildings—its contents and components—and bridges that are subject to extreme load conditions—earthquakes, tsunamis, and hurricanes. My current research involves theoretical and numerical analysis together with real-environment, full-scale experimental testing on the dynamic interaction of structural systems, nonstructural components and systems, and their protective measures under earthquake shaking. My research has been supported by the National Science Foundation. I joined Howard University in 2008. I received a Master’s degree (2002) and a Ph.D. (2007) from the State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo. I am a registered professional engineer in the states of Arkansas, Maryland, Virginia, New York and the District of Columbia. I have received several awards and scholarships, among others, the NSF- CAREER award for “Passive Seismic Protective Systems for Nonstructural Systems and Components in Multistory Building” (2012-2017); and I was a recipient of a Fulbright Scholarship. Before coming to the United States to pursue my Master’s degree, I already had seven years of professional experience working in Medellin, Colombia for HMV Ingenieros.
Protective systems, computational mechanics, structural engineering, earthquake engineering and structural dynamics, large-scale testing, retrofit and rehabilitation, multi-hazard mitigation, simplified structural procedures for engineering practice, structural systems for electrical infrastructure.
• M.C. Chen, E. Pantoli, X. Wang, R. Astroza, H. Ebrahimian, T.C. Hutchinson, J.P. Conte, J.I. Restrepo, C. Marin, K. Walsh, R. Bachman, M. Hoehler, R. Englekirk, and M. Faghihi, "Full-scale Structural and Nonstructural Building System Performance During Earthquakes: Part I – Specimen Description, Test Protocol and Structural Response," Earthquake Spectra, DOI: 10.1193/012414EQS016M, 2015
• E. Pantoli, M.C. Chen, X. Wang, R. Astroza, H. Ebrahimian, T.C. Hutchinson, J.P. Conte, J.I. Restrepo, C. Marin, K. Walsh, R. Bachman, M. Hoehler, R. Englekirk, and M. Faghihi, "Full-scale Structural and Nonstructural Building System Performance during Earthquakes: Part II – NCS Damage States," Earthquake Spectra, DOI: 10.1193/012414EQS017M, 2015
• Anagnos, T., Lyman-Holt, A., Marin-Artieda, C. & Momsen, E., "Impact of Engineering Ambassador Programs on Student Development,” Journal of STEM Education: Innovations and Research, 15(3), 2014.
• Marin-Artieda, Claudia C., and Whittaker, Andrew S., “Theoretical Studies of the XY-Frictional Pendulum (XY-FP) Seismic Isolation Bearing for Bridges,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 631-638, 2010.
• Marin-Artieda, Claudia C., Whittaker, Andrew S., and Constantinou, Michael C., “Experimental Study of the XY-Frictional Pendulum (XY-FP) Bearing for Bridge Applications,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 193-202, 2009
• Marin-Artieda, Claudia C., and Dargush, Gary F., “Approximate Limit Load Evaluation of Structural Frames Using Linear Elastic Analysis,” Engineering Structures, Elsevier Science, Vol. 29, pp. 296-304, 2007.
• Marin-Artieda, Claudia, and Han, Xing, "Experimental Developments in Isolation/Energy Dissipation Platforms for the Seismic Protection of Equipment in Multistory Facilities". Second ATC & SEI Conference on Improving the Seismic Performance of Existing Buildings and Other Structures, December 10–12, 2015, San Francisco, California: pp. 509-523. doi: 10.1061/9780784479728.042.
• Marin-Artieda, Claudia, and Han, Xing, "Base Isolation/Damping Platforms for Local Protection of Equipment at Floors of Fixed Base Buildings". JAEE Annual Conference and International Symposium on Earthquake Engineering. November 19-20, 2015, Tokyo, Japan
• Marin-Artieda, Claudia, and Han, Xing, “Experimental Investigation on the Seismic Performance of a Service Vibration Isolation Platform for Protection of Equipment," Paper ID: 1182, Structures Congress, Portland, Oregon, April 23-25, 2015.
• Han, Xing, and Marin-Artieda, Claudia. “A Case Study on the Seismic Protection of Equipment Using Lead-Rubber Bearings," Paper ID: 949, Structures Congress, Portland, Oregon, April 23-25, 2015.
• Marin-Artieda, Claudia.,“ Case Studies on the Assessment of Seismic Protective Systems for Equipment in Multistory Buildings," Paper No. 1381. The 10th US National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Alaska, July 21-25, 2014.
• Marin-Artieda, Claudia., Kea, Kara. and Valencia, Taylor., “A Rooftop Cooling Tower and its Seismic Protective Systems," Paper No. 1160, Structures Congress, Boston, MA., April 3-5, 2014.
• Chen, M., Espino, E., Mintz, S., Pantoli, E., Wang, X., Conte, J., Hutchinson, T., Marin, C., Meacham, B., Restrepo, J., Walsh, K., Englekirk, R., Faghihi, M., Hoehler, M. and McLaughlin, B. “ Design and Construction of a Full-scale 5-story Base Isolated Building Outfitted with Nonstructural Components for Earthquake Testing at the UCSD-NEES Facility” Proceedings of 2012 Structures Congress and the 20th Analysis and computation specialty Conference, NB210. ASCE, March, 29-31, 2012, Chicago. IL.
• Lamichhane, Sam., and Marin, Claudia. “Survey of Bridges and Their Damage Mitigation Provision in Recent Tsunamis.” Paper number: 12-3007, 91th TRB Annual meeting, 2012.
The AMBASSADORS OF ENGINEERING PROGRAM led hands-on earthquake and coastal engineering challenges at the Discover Engineering Family Day at the National Building Museum in February 27, 2016.Read More >>
HU ADVANCE-IT presented its Woman in STEM Researcher of the Year Award to Dr. Kimberly L. Jones on Friday, April 17, 2015. The award, first given in 2014, recognizes the distinguished scholarship and leadership of women faculty in STEM at Howard UniversityRead More >>